These requirements can be see as scaffolding, defining the design space, showing where the end product will be and giving an idea of the scope.
- The toolbox can provide a quality label, to show internal and external clients that user research is a priority
- Good user research creates empathy with different groups of end-users, which makes it possible to create better User Experiences
- The toolbox can take away inhibitions such as the idea that user research is always difficult, expensive or time-consuming
- As IT solutions become more and more ubiquitous, they need to be inclusive of all user groups in order to provide access to as much people as possible, especially with non-profit organizations that have a public responsibility. The toolbox can help create that awareness.
- Technology-driven companies in IT that cater to non-profit organizations, and do not have but are interested in developing an Inclusive Design strategy.
IN CONTRAST TO
- Current toolboxes are either design driven and involve the user early in the process, or IT-specific involving the user only as a tester after-the-fact. Some toolboxes are very thorough but lack ease-of-use; others are simple but lack credibility. Filtering adds complexity but toolboxes without it present too much information at once.
- A toolbox that creates awareness about Inclusive Design, lowers barriers to start practicing it, and empowers companies to use the results to their advantage
- Current rituals and common practices in IT-development companies are respected or incorporated
- The toolbox guides the entire user research process, from ethics and recruiting participants, via guidelines and methods, to drawing conclusions
- Intuitive filtering or routing quickly leads to the relevant information, skipping the rest. Alternatives and more detailed information are within reach if needed.
- Each method that is offered, has an introduction that can be read and understood in 2-3 minutes
- The toolbox contains a limited amount of methods, each one attractive to start, easy to execute with ready-to-print materials and checklists, and user-group appropriate. Best-practice stories can give examples and inspiration for tweaking
- The end product will likely be a physical portal, such as a poster, that can act as a gateway to a digital system of intelligent filtering and a database